Writing

Writing
Writing

Speaking

Speaking
Speaking

Ministry Resources

Ministry Resources
Ministry Resources

Guest Post: Abolishing Fear One Thought at a Time


Friends, I'm excited to welcome Jennifer Dickerson as a guest writer today.  Jennifer's words will encourage you to put your fears up against scripture and throughout this post, helps us to navigate how our thoughts can hold us captive.  Thank you for sharing your words with us today Jennifer! 








A couple of years ago while I was reading a book about prayer, an author’s comment struck me as if I had gotten hit by a baseball. She stated that Satan could not read or know our thoughts. It seemed so simple but something that I had missed completely in all my studies as a Christian. 


I took this comment to my husband, who is a pastor, to get his take on it. He said, “Of course! He is not all knowing. Therefore, he never knows your thoughts.” I guess I have never really thought about it that way. That sent my mind reeling.


If Satan does not know my thoughts, then my thoughts are totally reflective of myself.  This hit me hard in my own struggle with fear.  


The truth is that Satan has no control over my actions (as in the phrase “the devil made me do it”), just as he has no control over my thought life. The fact is that Satan does have the power to put pressures around you to guide your decisions and thoughts.  


When I was younger, I had an affection for particular types of television shows that glorified the supernatural and downright satanic (now that I can reflect on it clearly) world. During that period of my life, I remember having outrageous fears that controlled my actions, thoughts, and even my dreams. When I was confronted with my un-Christ like affections and began to abandon this guilt like pleasure, I began to notice a change in my thoughts. I even had a strength that I never had against these types of entertainment.  


I even remember allowing a so called friend talk me into seeing a very violent and scary movie at a local movie theater. When the movie began, I realized that the pressure in my friendship would create unnecessary fear and chaos in my thoughts. I looked at my friend and said that I couldn’t go through with watching the movie. I then very happily walked out. That lesson cost me about ten dollars, but resulted in a strength that still continues.

Today, I have two beautiful children, a son and a daughter. My son has very strong anxieties and fears. A lot of his fears stem from thoughts that he has created. I stress “he has created.” I remind him that in Philippians 4:8, it says 



“…Whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy- meditate on these things.” 



I am teaching him to take his thoughts and measure them up to this verse. If he cannot say yes to the criteria stated in this verse, then we think of ways to change his thinking. Most fears that we have can also be measured by this verse. They are created by the pressures and situations that revolve around us. 














 






In Colossians 3:1-2 it states, “If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.” We, as believers, are to be setting our minds on heavenly things. It requires an action on our part. If we dwell on a circumstances or situations without the truth that Christ brings, we are not looking at it with a heavenly perspective. We see it with “earthly-tinted” glasses. We see the anxiety, fear, and pain, not the hope that Christ provides.


Our thoughts that are not grounded and measured by heavenly standards can lead to us not following God’s will or missing out on opportunities that God has placed before us. Writing has been a goal that has been in the back of my mind for a long time. God has put me in the right place to pursue that dream. However, in my thoughts, the fear of failure often creeps up. Will I succeed at this? What if I can’t do this? These kinds of fearful questions often pass though my mind. 



However, I prayerfully measure them by the Philippians passage. The thing is I do not know if I will succeed at my goal. But I do know that trying and following God’s will for me is success. The pressure to be great will not crush the truth of God’s success. That success is ultimately obedience. Fear caused by misguided thoughts can pull me away from what God wants for me.


Thoughts can affect us tremendously. They can be uplifting. Christ can be honored through our thoughts. However, thoughts can also lead to insecurities and fears. They can lead us away from the God that we love and serve. They can separate us from others and cause havoc. We must take action. Our thoughts must be held up to the test of scripture before they take hold of our lives. Seeking heavenly things must be our goal in our thought life. This is one way to abolish fear from our lives.





About Jennifer

I am a wife, mother, teacher, and believer in Jesus Christ. I live in central South Dakota with my husband and two children. Before starting my family, I graduated from Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary in Wake Forest, NC with a MA with emphasis in Christian Education. I love teaching from the Scriptures and hope to use my experience and education to help other women find hope and encouragement through Jesus Christ.

You can visit Jennifer's blog and website here.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.