Writing

Writing
Writing

Speaking

Speaking
Speaking

Ministry Resources

Ministry Resources
Ministry Resources

A Mother's Day Tribute

With Mother’s Day approaching, it seems fitting to take time and reflect on those that have played a motherly role in our lives.  For some of us that will be our biological mothers; for others it might be our step or adoptive mothers, grandmothers, mentors, an older sibling, church member, the list could go on.  I’ve been fortunate that I’ve had many women play an immense role in my life and have influenced my journey with Christ.  But for the sake of this post, I’d like to focus on the woman who has had the greatest influence on my life, my mother.


My mama is a special lady.  She has many qualities that I only hope to inherit throughout my life.  She effortlessly gives to others and put their needs before her own.  She is always willing to lend a helping hand to someone and never wants any recognition for any of it.  She has always treated everyone with respect and care.  She is a supportive wife of 30+ years to my father.  I really could go on and list all the amazing characteristics this woman has!


Among all these characteristics I have observed over my life, I want to reflect on the important lessons she has taught me. 


The importance of marrying a Godly man.
A man that will pray for you, lead your household in a godly way and support you through the trials of life.   Marry a man that will love you as Christ loved the church.

I am blessed to have found that in my husband.  I’m also blessed that he and my mother have a very strong relationship and know the great influence they both have on me in their different roles.
               

The importance of raising Godly children.
Raise your children up to be soldiers for Christ and the Kingdom of God.  Teach them to love all people, no matter their circumstance.

As a new mother I am readily awaiting this task.  I know that my mother’s influence will play a vital role in my daughter’s life as well and I know that Brooke will observe the very same traits I have over the years in my mother.


The importance of the golden rule.
“In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets.” Matthew 7:12 (AMSB)

You never know what someone else is dealing with in their lives at that very moment.  I have seen my mother exhibit this very rule countless times.  People can see Christ in you by the way you act towards others.


The importance of seeking God’s will for your life.
“For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord.  Plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11

God has placed each of us on this earth for a specific purpose.  No one else will have the exact same talents, skills, and traits that you will have.  Seek out God’s will and plan for your life and rest in the fact that He has everything in control.  Pray for Him to reveal his purpose for your life and trust that he has already equipped you with everything you will need to fulfill that purpose.


This weekend, as we celebrate mothers of all kinds, if there is a woman who has influenced you the way my mother has me, be sure to thank her in a special way.


So mom, I thank you for the countless things you have done for me.  Only God can love me more than you can.  Your heart for family and others is one that I can only hope to achieve in my lifetime.  Thank you for always supporting my decisions, regardless of whether you agreed with them or not, and for being there to encourage me when those decisions didn’t pan out as maybe I had planned.  But mostly, thank you for being the first example of Christ that I ever knew.  It is by your heart and love that I came to know Jesus and will spend eternity with Him.  What a wonderful mother and nana you have been.  I love you!


Credit: Amanda Martinsen



Happy Mother’s Day to all the mother’s out there.  We are forever bonded together by our love for our children. 


Happy Mother’s Day! 

Blessings,
Amanda


  

  
 


1 comment

  1. AnonymousMay 10, 2013

    I could not ask for a better Mother's Day gift. This is so special to me, I can't begin to tell you how much it means. You are a such a blessing to me and I thank God for giving me such an amazing daughter. Happy 1st Mother's Day to you.
    I love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.