Writing

Writing
Writing

Speaking

Speaking
Speaking

Ministry Resources

Ministry Resources
Ministry Resources

Letting Go of Negativity

I could feel it coming but I didn’t know how to stop it.  I was trying to think of something else to say but…oh no…here it comes….the negativity.  I said it without thinking.  I didn’t even really want to say it, but I did. 

But I didn’t like myself after I said those negative words.  So why did I say them? 

I’m sure most of us have been in this situation at one time or another.  We’ve said something negative.  Something hurtful.  Something we didn’t mean.  And immediately come to regret it. 

I’ll be the first to admit it.  I am a people pleaser by nature.  As a child, if my teacher asked a question and no one raised their hand to answer, I felt the need to raise my hand (even if I didn’t know the answer) so that the teacher wouldn’t feel disappointed in us.  Oh yeah, my mind went there!

Sometimes, it’s not a bad thing.  Hey, it kept my grades on point!   But friends, when it comes to that ugly word {negativity} it ain’t good.

It’s unfortunate to say but it is often times too easy to get caught up in negativity.  If we surround ourselves with people that speak negatively and have a negative mindset, we too are in danger of letting that consume us.  If we continually place ourselves in negative situations, we then are in danger of becoming part of that situation. 

In Philippians, Paul writes to the Christian believers in the city of Philippi and says to them “Stick with me friends.  Keep track of those you see running this same course, headed for this same goal.  There are many out there taking other paths, choosing other goals, and trying to get you to go along with them.”  {Philippians 3:17-18, The Message}   

Oh that Paul is a wise man isn’t he?!  But too many times I’ve fallen into that trap.  Have you?  I've fallen into the trap of joining in on the gossip, the looks, the judgment.  And that’s the exact opposite of what I should be doing as a follower of Christ.

I shouldn’t be joining in on those negative conversations.  Or passing that judgment.  Or listening to that gossip that may or may not be true.  That is simply Satan weaseling his unwelcomed way into my life, my thoughts, my words.  And I DO NOT WANT HIM THERE! 

So no more negativity.  No more joining in those conversations just so the person feels like they have some one else to say it to.

Who am I hurting in the process?  Myself and my Father.  My Heavenly Father that is. 

It is hard.  I know.  It’s often so easy to fall into that trap of letting negativity (gossip, judgment, anger, resentment) consume our lives.  But we also have to be aware that that’s just what he {Satan} wants. 

Satan wants us to judge instead of try to understand.  To gossip instead of try to listen.  To hold resentment instead of forgive.  To follow him instead of Jesus. 

I don’t know about you, but I’m not letting that happen any longer. 

I have a very wise Pastor.  And he recently said in one of his sermons that life is not a series of chances as most people believe, but of choices.  As followers of Jesus Christ we need to choose to be peacemakers, not peacebreakers.  He’s so right.  These negative worldly things only hinder our relationship with God. 

So I’m making a choice.    

Do this with me today friends.  Let us let go of the negativity in our lives.  If there’s something holding you back from a more personal relationship with God….hand it over to Him today. 

Let go of that resentment.  Let go of that need to please others (talking to myself here!).  Let go of the desire to gossip and judge.  Let go of whatever is standing in your way of a closer relationship with God. 

And if someone’s hurt you, someone has inflicted this negativity on your life…try to forgive them. 

I’m not saying it’s gonna be easy.  Oh no, it won’t.  This is something that takes time.
But today, let’s start a new outlook.

 With me?


Photo Credit: Pinterest

A wise person gets known for insight;
gracious words add to one’s reputation.
Proverbs 16:21 {The Message}


Dear Heavenly Father,
Help us today to be free from negativity.  Guide us to turn to you and not to worldly things.  When we’re struggling with resentment, help us to forgive.  When we’re struggling with gossip and judgment, help us to remember how hurtful our words can be.  Your Son came to this world perfect.  Help us to be more like Him and show the love and compassion towards others that He showed.  Forgive us for getting wrapped up in negativity and challenge us to do better.  In Jesus name, Amen.   

Blessings friends,
Amanda

Casting Crowns: Jesus, Friend of Sinners


No comments

Powered by Blogger.